Highlights of Western Governors University
- Among the most affordable and efficient schools for online degrees
- Competency-based approach to education
- Flexibility in scheduling
- No minimum GPA or SAT score required for admission
- Students pay a flat rate per six-month term
- Students can accelerate their program by completing all of the required assessments at a faster rate
- All students are provided a mentor
- Nationally and regionally accredited
Overview of Western Governors University
Western Governors University (WGU), established in 1997, is a private, non-profit online university. The school offers over 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the fields of information technology, business, teacher education, and healthcare.
The university was established by the governors of 19 states. WGU uses a unique competency-based academic approach. The school requires students to show competencies in required areas, instead of focusing on credit hours in a classroom. Progress towards your degree is based on passing rigorous assessments which measure your skills and knowledge in your field of study.
Western Governors University is supported by more than 20 major foundations and corporations.
If you’re an organized, independent learner willing to devote at least 20 hours per week to your studies, but require flexibility in time and place to complete your education, WGU could be a smart choice.
Western Governors University is regionally accredited by The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). The Teachers College at WGU is accredited by Northwest Commission for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). WGU’s nursing programs are also accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Education programs are provided by the following colleges:
- College of Business : Provides skills in demand by employers. The programs help professionals advance in their careers.
- Teachers College: Provides NCATE-accredited online teaching programs for current and aspiring teachers. The programs lead to teacher licensure. The programs are designed to prepare students for certification in all 50 states.
- College of Health Professions: Provides the skills in demand by industries. The programs were developed by employers.
- College of Information Technology: Provides the knowledge, skills, and certification in demand by employers. The programs incorporate the latest industry recognized certifications. The college is a Microsoft IT Academy Member.
Featured IT Programs
Bachelor’s in Information Technology
Bachelor’s in Information Technology – Network Administration
Bachelor’s in Information Technology – Security
Bachelor’s in Software Development
Bachelor’s in Data Management and Analytics
Master’s in Information Technology – Management
Master’s in Data Analytics
Master’s in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
- Most programs begin monthly
- Online study groups are available
- Offers flexible schedules
- The library is accessible 24 hours a day
The instructors at Western Governors University are qualified in their field. Also, as a WGU student, you’ll have the support of a team of mentors committed to your success.
Admissions and Financial Aid Information
Minimum GPAs or standardized test scores are not required for admissions. Admissions requirements vary by the program; however, in general, either a high school diploma or a GED certificate is required. Graduate degree programs require a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and an interview with an enrollment counselor.
Students are charged a flat tuition rate every six-month term instead of paying tuition per course or credit. Financial aid is available to those who qualify.