TheBestSchools.org has initiated various special projects for enhancing American education.
Focused Civil Dialogues
Another important project we have initiated is an indefinite series of civil dialogues between opposing scholars on a variety of subjects. We know that many of the greatest achievements in the world sprang forth despite, and/or due to, adversity. We also realize the sad truths that the art of discussing controversial matters is vanishing, and that too many controversial subjects become nothing more than polarizing bullet points or sound bites, with seemingly no room for conversation.
The challenge is to provide a place and structure for opposing voices to confront each other rather than talk past each other. Whether the controversies are resolved or not is not the goal—the goal is to open the conversation.
For more information about our Focused Civil Dialogues, click here. Below are our first two installments.
- The Sheldrake-Shermer Dialogue on the Nature of Science
- In Progress: Ehrman-Licona Dialogue on the Historical Reliability of the New Testament
- In Progress: Karoly-Happer Dialogue on Global Warming
The Escalante-Gradillas Best in Education Prize
A project dear to our hearts centers around the the legacy of Jaime Escalante and Henry Gradillas, the teacher and principal depicted in the film Stand and Deliver; their outstanding work at Garfield High School in the 1980s shines a beacon to this day.
Through our annual $20,000 Best in Education Prize, we hope to find and acknowledge outstanding teachers and school administrators across America. Our aim is not only to recognize the individuals, their work, and their schools; it is to energize the spirit of excellence in education for all educators.
- The Escalante-Gradillas $20,000 Prize for Best in Education
- Here’s our 2015 Best in Education WINNER! Lisa Kaplan: A South Philly Turnaround Artist!
- Meet the 2015 Escalante-Gradillas Best in Education Prize Top 10 Finalists!
- “Jaime Escalante in the 21st Century: Still Standing and Delivering” by James Barham
- “Henry Gradillas Interview” by TBS Staff
- “Angelo Villavicencio Interview” by TBS Staff (Villavicencio worked with Escalante)