A great songwriter never knows when inspiration might strike. Sometimes, it happens right there in the recording studio. But that moment of creative genesis could also happen while you’re driving, or scarfing a sandwich, or even while you’re sound asleep (just ask Paul McCartney and Keith Richards).
Of course, we’re huge history geeks here at TBS Magazine, so we’re always fascinated by a good origin story. We’ve compiled a few of our favorites for your consideration. Here are the stories behind 10 Classic Songs, as told by the artists themselves. Join us as secrets are revealed, mythologies debunked, and mysteries demystified.
1. Rolling Stones – Satisfaction
2. Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
3. Aerosmith/Run D.M.C. – Walk This Way
4. Phil Collins – In the Air Tonight
5. Dolly Parton – Jolene
6. Don McLean – American Pie
7. Procol Harum – A Whiter Shade of Pale
8. The Beach Boys – Good Vibrations
9. Paul McCartney – Yesterday
10. Michael Jackson – Smooth Criminal
Any classic origin stories we missed? Share some of your favorites with us!