- Competency-based approach to education
- Flexibility in scheduling
- No minimum GPA or SAT score required for admission
- Students pay a flat rate per six-month term
- Minimum of 20 hours of study required each week
- Students can accelerate their program by completing all of the required assessments at a faster rate
- All students are provided a mentor
- Nationally and regionally accredited
Overview of Western Governors University
Western Governors University (WGU), established in 1997, is a private, non-profit online university. The school offers over 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the fields of information technology, business, teacher education, and healthcare.
The university was established by the governors of 19 states. WGU uses a unique competency-based academic approach. The school requires students to show competencies in required areas, instead of focusing on credit hours in a classroom. Progress towards your degree is based on passing rigorous assessments which measure your skills and knowledge in your field of study.
In Indiana, Texas, and Washington state, GWU operates as Indiana GWU, Texas GWU, and Washington GWU, respectively. Students who reside in these states will communicate with and enroll in these universities.
Western Governors University is supported by more than 20 major foundations and corporations. WGU is also regionally and nationally accredited. The Teachers College at WGU is accredited by Northwest Commission for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). WGU’s nursing programs are also accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
If you’re an organized, independent learner willing to devote at least 20 hours per week to your studies, but require flexibility in time and place to complete your education, WGU could be a smart choice.
Education programs are provided by the following colleges:
- College of Business : Provides skills in demand by employers. The programs help professionals advance in their careers.
- Teachers College: Provides NCATE-accredited online teaching programs for current and aspiring teachers. The programs lead to teacher licensure. The programs are designed to prepare students for certification in all 50 states.
- College of Health Professions: Provides the skills in demand by industries. The programs were developed by employers.
- College of Information Technology: Provides the knowledge, skills, and certification in demand by employers. The programs incorporate the latest industry recognized certifications. The college is a Microsoft IT Academy Member.
- Most programs begin monthly
- Online study groups are available
- Offers flexible schedules
- The library is accessible 24 hours a day
The instructors at Western Governors University are qualified in their field. Also, as a WGU student, you’ll have the support of a team of mentors committed to your success.
Admissions and Financial Aid Information
Minimum GPAs or standardized test scores are not required for admissions. Admissions requirements vary by the program; however, in general, either a high school diploma or a GED certificate is required. Graduate degree programs require a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and an interview with an enrollment counselor.
Students are charged a flat tuition rate every six-month term instead of paying tuition per course or credit. Financial aid is available to those who qualify.